Dumas 44.50 in. Mount Washington Steamboat Kit

The Dumas kit of The Mount Washington includes everything needed to bring the original grandeur back to life. An ABS plastic hull and a birch plywood die cut superstructure provide the basic shape, while embossed plastic, cabin detail, cast metal fittings, and full color decals add the touches that make the model complete. Our step by step instructions will help you transform your kit into an historic model that will be sure to find a place in the history of your family.                                                                                                                                                          THE MS/MT WASHINGTON HISTORY 

  In 1872 we saw the launching of a new steam sidewheeler at Alton Bay which was christened the “Mount Washington.” She was longer, faster, and the most beautiful sidewheeler ever built in the United States. A single piston with a diameter of forty-two inches and a stroke of ten feet drove this vessel at better than twenty miles an hour. The piston drove these sidewheels by means of a walking-beam on top of the super-structure. Picture the tall smokestack belching smoke into the sky, and the walkingbeam compressing up and down, up and down, to turn the giant paddle wheels. The horsepower was 450 at full ahead, more than enough to leave the “Lady of the Lake” in her wake.                                                                                                                                                                       The following article by Howard F. Greene’s Winnipesaukee Voyage states: Even thought the “Mount” outclassed the “Lady of the Lake,” their rivalry continued unabated for eighteen more years. The captain and the crew of the “Lady” pushed themselves even harder in their efforts to regain some of their lost business, until by 1890 the vessel ran three round trips a day from June 4 until October 20. She began her day’s work at 5:30 A.M., sailing from Wolfeboro to Long Island, Center Harbor, Bear Island, and the Weirs. Arriving back at Wolfeboro at 10:20 A.M., she sailed immediately on her second trip, which-finished at 3 P.M. The third and last trip of the day started at 3:30 and finished at 7:30 P.M. – a fourteen hour day for captain and crew, not counting the time involved in firing up in the morning and cleaning up at night. Even with all the efforts of the great “Lady,” she could not withstand the losing battle against the “Mount Washington,” and she made her last voyage in September, 1893, after which she was destroyed by the owner. The “Mount” was left alone and crowned the Queen of the Lake.     During the days of the “Mount” and the “Lady,” another type of steamer which was driven by a screw propeller made its way into the lake. There was no question that it was more efficient than the larger boats even thought it could not compete with the big side-wheelers when at full speed. The main purpose for these smaller craft was for tourist business which was becoming very popular in the region.                                                                                                                      Launched five years after the “Mount Washington” was the first screwdriven steamer, the “Mineola.” The launching took place at Lake Village where hundreds gathered from all over New Hampshire to witness the christening of this first screw-driven vessel that claimed she could reach speeds of ten miles per hour. The skeptics could not swallow this claim, for the screw propeller was still unproven; on her maiden voyage she reached ten and one-half miles an hour.                                                                                            The most famous of the screw-propelled ships was the “Maid of the Isles,” built at Wolfeboro in 1877, at a cost of $16,000.00. The natives have it that the “Maid” won a race against the “Mount” in one of the many races between the early steamers.
Old Harvey continues, “It was down Three Mile Island heading in towards Center Harbor that the “Maid of the Isles,” near Becky’s Garden, docked at Center Harbor about a minute before the “Mount.” Many claim, however, that the “Mount” was ambushed with the “Maid” carrying a full head of steam while the “Mount” was just coasting at seventeen knots. “Us old-timers still hold that if the ”Mount” had her full steam, nobody could beat her. ”                                                                                                                                                After many mishaps, the “Maid” saw the end of her career at Center Harbor, when a group of Independence Day pranksters set the old girl afire. This seemed to be the turning point for all boating on the big lake, for in 1893 the Concord and Montreal System ceased; the “Lady of the Lake” made its last voyage, and the Boston and Maine was faced with competition from the automobile. Roads improved, more people were travelling by auto, and the commercial value of the steamers began to cease. By the end of World War I and the signing of the Armistice, the steamers as commercial transportation were on the downward trek.                                                                                                                                                                          The Boston and Maine officials finally decided to cease operation of the “Old Mount and Steamship” business; thus, during the 1920’s, the “Mount Washington” was sold to Captain Leander Lavallee.                                                                                                                            Captain Leander Lavallee. Born c 1870, died c 1944.
Owner of steamer Governor Endicott 1919-1922.
Owner of Mount Washington 1922-1932.
Owner of steamer Marshall Foch 1932-1935.
Owner (again) of the Mount from 1935-1939.
Builder and part-owner of new Mount 1940-1942.
Drawings from 1928 booklet.                                                                                           

 MT. WASHINGTON KIT

  

Length: 44-1/2″ inches

Beam: 12 inches

Scale:   1/48th

Running Hardware: Included in kit
Power: Dumas #2029 12v Gearhead Motor
Speed Control: #2023 12v Speed Control
Battery: #2032 12v Battery
Charger: #2028 Battery Charger 
Radio Control: #8812-2 2 Channel Radio Control w/ two servos 

Credits: http://www.weirsbeach.com/Largejpgs/oldboats/oldmountcollage.html 

http://www.lwhs.us/steam-mtwashhistory.htm

 

  

 

                         

You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.

Leave a Reply

Powered by AWS